Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How to Trim/cut a dogs nails?

Breed: Pomeranian. Age: 8 months





How do I trim his nails, I have a nail filer, and a nail trimmer. What else do I need? How do I cut them? How do i stop the bleeding if I cut it to short?





Any Help Would Be appreciated! Thanks!How to Trim/cut a dogs nails?
DO NOT CUT BELOW THE WHITEHow to Trim/cut a dogs nails?
I'm assuming by nail trimmer you mean a type of ';clipper'; with two metal pieces that come together around the nail (sort of like human nail clippers). There isn't an exact way to ';do it'; but be sure if you plan on doing this yourself that you are able to control your dog from movement (this will result in you undoubtedly cutting too short/crooked) and that you can locate the ';quick';. This is very clear in light colored nails, black nails it will be harder to locate. If you cut that, the nail will bleed. You can buy what is called ';quick stop'; if you do cut it too close.





Personal recommendation: I work at a vet's office, and after all the supplies you have to buy, the struggle with the dog, and the likliehood that you will cut their quick at least once every time you trim the nails, take your dog to his vet and they can cut them efficiently and properly in minutes for a small charge. Your groomer can also do it (most include it with their services).





You can also buy what I personally use, called Pedi Paws, which files the nail so no risk of cutting and bleeding. Its available at walgreens for around $20.00





Good luck!
Unfortunately the PediPaws spooked my dog so I couldnt use it on him. But my dog is VERY BIG. So what I do is I hold him back a little on his leash while I walk him - and he likes to investigate stuff, so he PULLS hard. I just let him file his nails on the sidewalk while I walk him. Works pretty good. Concrete acts like sandpaper on his nails and files them down quickly.
I got one of those new PETICURE things and it works great! I am too afraid of hurting my boys so I gave up trying. I used to have to keep a lit candle around when I did it in case it bled to stop the flow. Now I just use that thing. It's worth the money, trust me. Good luck!!! DOGS RULE!!!
at the pet store you can but specific clippers designed for each sized animal and they come with a little booklet etc. But if you gotta do it tonight then just do it in stages and be quite gentle! gd luck

No comments:

Post a Comment